Have you ever seen a new product, app, or business and thought to yourself, “that was my idea a few years ago”? If you have, that means you did not have a process for taking that idea from concept to creation.
This year, I’m pleased to be a mentor/coach at Startup Weekend Long Island, a three-day conference of learning about the startup ideation process and actually bringing your concept to creation!
The hardest part of starting up is starting out. At Techstars Startup Weekend, you'll be immersed in the ideal environment for startup magic to happen. Click To Tweet
The hardest part of starting up is starting out. At Techstars Startup Weekend, you’ll be immersed in the ideal environment for startup magic to happen.
Startup Weekend Long Island is your chance to learn how to take ANY idea from concept to creation within a matter of days! Whether you are looking to…
- get introduced to the world of startups and entrepreneurship
- learn the process of going from concept to creation
- meet experienced, talented, and passionate entrepreneurs
- join or build an all-star team
- learn and practice new skills to take back to your job or
- take your own idea from concept to creation
The event takes place from Friday, November 17, 6:00 pm through Sunday, November 19, 9:00 pm EST. Here’s the full schedule.
Location: LaunchPad Huntington 315 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Huntington NY 11743
Do You Have to Pitch an Idea to Attend?
No, but we encourage you to! You can pitch an idea you’ve been thinking about for years or something last minute you think of during the event. It’s a great experience and invaluable practice for public speaking.
But What if You Don’t Have an Idea, Can You Still Attend?
If you have an idea for a startup that’s great! If you don’t have an idea, that is ok too!
Come and spend the weekend with other entrepreneurs, listen to the ideas being pitched, and see if something strikes your interest!
The weekend is all about learning about the startup ideation process from your peers. If you have more questions, check out the Startup Weekend First Timers FAQ!
Is This Event for You?
It doesn’t matter what you do or where you come from, Startup Weekend is designed as an inclusive event and program that brings all sorts of people together.
Techstars Startup Weekend attendee backgrounds are roughly 50% technical (developers, coders, designers) and 50% business (marketing, finance, law)
People that attend this event are…
- Aspiring & experienced entrepreneurs
- Developers and other tech-related professionals
- Designers of all types
- Non-technical talent (i.e. business, sales, finance, legal, etc.)
- Students from colleges, universities, and even high schools
- Professionals looking to switch careers or build new skills
- Passionate visionaries and any more!
Whether you are a serial entrepreneur or new to the startup scene, if you motivated to build a product or startup and open to new ideas you’ll fit right in.
Do You Have to Participate in All Three Days?
Yes, but you can go home for some sleep each evening. Apart from Organizers, selected Coaches, Speakers, and press, everyone who attends the event is expected to participate all three days. This is important not only to preserve the ‘vibe’ of the weekend (“no talk, all action”) but also to minimize distractions/disruptions for working teams.
How Do You Register?
What are you waiting for? Visit the events page at startupweekend.org/events to register. Scholarships are available, too! Apply here for a scholarship. Contact info@StartupWeekendLI.com if you have any questions.
Can You Pay at the Door?
NO. Organizers need to order the food and supplies in advance to meet the needs of the weekend. If you are physically unable to pay online, reach out to the local organizers to arrange payment.
What Does Your Ticket Include?
- Access to the full weekend-long event
- Opportunity to pitch your idea on Friday night @ Pitch Fire
- Mentoring by all-stars from the tech startup community
- Tasty meals all weekend
- Collaboration with awesome technical professionals
- All-star judges panel lead by startup leaders
- Membership in the Startup Weekend Community (200K+ alumni)
- A process for taking any idea from concept to creation in a matter of days, and
- Connect with over 50 awesome new friends!
What Should You Bring?
- Power cord
- Business cards
- Camera – take pictures and video!
- Optional: A second monitor, keyboard, etc…. set yourself up to be productive!
- Lots of creative energy!
How do you prepare?
- Here are some great resources to get you started: Attendee Resources
- Do some research. Market research and background information will give you a better understanding of the problem you’re trying to solve.
- Practice your pitch. You’ll have 60 seconds to persuade other attendees to join your team. Make it clear, concise, and convincing!
- Get familiar with our tools for the weekend, head over to startupweekend.org/resources
- Get plenty of rest.
- Bring a friend! Events are better with good company.
If you have more questions…
Contact info@StartupWeekendLI.com to register.